Friday 3 February 2012

Leather Purse - with two section snap frame

I love getting a new purse...I think it gives you a chance to clear out your old one, get rid of all those tattered old receipts, out of date vouchers, expired loyalty cards...and if your lucky you might even find a scrumpled up tenner!

Coin purses with clip frames seem to be getting more and more popular. Those of you whole follow Mollie Makes Magazine may remember the free gift coin purse kit from issue 6. Of course I had it made up within a few days.... but I tend to carry more bits and bobs in my purse than would fit in this little one.

So I decided to experiment and make a bigger one! I found a lovely double pocket clip frame from U handbag which arrived in no time at all...then I had to work out how to to create a purse that had all the little pockets and sections I needed.


I'm really trying right now to use up stuff that I have already...I like buying new fabrics, trims, ribbons, buttons...(I could go on)...as much as the next craft fiend but sometimes I forget how lovely a lot of the stuff I have already is.


So I had a rummage...last year when clearing out my parents loft I found a huge basket of leather cut offs which my mum kindly gave to me. I managed to find a bit of navy blue soft leather big enough for the frame I bought.



.....Then I choose this Liberty print I've had for a while which I thought went well with the leather.




I stiffened the cotton with some interfacing and picked out some flowers to appliqué onto the front with my machine (feed dogs down).


I made up the lining in the same liberty print with pockets for my cards....



....added my name on the bag...(a bit geeky - I know)....and found a scrap bit of lace that was luckily just the right length to finish off the back.


I really pleased with it and felt really chuffed when the guy who served me in Anthropology complimented me on it and said 'you could sell them in here you know'....shame he's not a buyer! Maybe one day.....a girl can dream!
If you like the look of this purse...fear not...it will be on the workshop programme at my craft venue and haberdashery shop...opening later this year in Moseley, Birmingham.

8 comments:

  1. that is just gorgeous...do you use a special needle for sewing the leather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi picperfect :) yes I used a leather needle in my sewing machine..sometimes they can leave quite big holes though so it can be worth trying a new (sharp) regular needle depending on the thickness of your leather. Hope this helps x

      Delete
  2. Lovely purse. Love your blog too - not sure how i arrived here now but intend adding you to my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, thanks for the follow..it is funny sometimes when you just somehow stumble on sites, but glad you found me :) x

      Delete
  3. Wow that is so wonderful, i'd love to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Jen. I've had a really good response to this post so it will defiantly be on my workshop programme when the business gets up and running! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when Lauren...thanks for stopping by my blog and looking forward to following your work.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete