Thursday 16 February 2012

Furniture re-vamp - decoupage postage stamp cabinet

Transforming a cheap charity shop find into an amazing unique piece of furniture is hugely satisfying. I love to make something old into something new. A few years ago I learned to how re-upholster chairs and caught the bug of furniture revamp. Here are a few of my past projects - before and after....








Upholstery can be quite technical at times. The dining chair that I revamped (pictured above) was completed using traditional techniques - right down to re-using the original horse hair for a firm but comfortable base! But furniture revamp doesn't need to be difficult. A lick of paint and and a block of sand paper can give a rustic look. A few months ago I found an old chair on the street and dolled it up over a weekend...



It's been a while since I've put my painting clothes on and a few weeks ago I found this little bedside table for only £5 in a local charity shop! I had been inspired by the vintage and antique shops I had visited in Buenos Aires at the beginning of the year and couldn't wait to get started on it. 
 I loved the little rose door knob too!

It got a couple of coats of white primer first.....


 I used Annie Sloan chalk pain and then took a bit of sand paper to the corners and edges for a rustic and worn look.  


I then looked out my old stamp collection from my childhood - yeah I was a cool kid! I used to be in the royal mail stamp club and they would send you all sorts of stuff. I had a whole stash of colourful stamps from all over the world. Who knew they would be so useful?!

So I laid out the order of all the stamps....

 Then stuck them all down with decoupage glue....

And here is the finished cabinet....

I added a little gold leaf around the rim too...

 A close up of some of my favourite stamps. The decoupage glue and varnish give a lovely smooth finish that's water repellant too. 


And thats how you get from shabby to chic in the world of furniture revamp! 

3 comments:

  1. OMG Lauren these are all amazing....so talented and as for those stamps on the cabinet truly works wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these pieces look brilliant - love the stamp idea. Do you find AS paints really good? I've got to do a couple of pieces but haven't got the paint yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adaliza, it was the first time I had used the AS paint and I thought it was pretty good, it seems to mark quite easily - got a few finger prints on it already - guess that's maybe just part of the charm of making something rustic

      Delete